PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willie swings his axe
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2005, 14:30
Flightrider

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
A staff cut which starts with the management. Never thought I'd see it. I hope the idea spreads
I think you've hit the nail on the head. If the staff cuts start with the management, it makes it rather easier to force through staff cuts elsewhere because you've removed the normal "what about the overstaffed management" line of defence.

And in response to M.Mouse, there are plenty of things that Willie can have a go at in flight and cabin crew. It is not just about flying 100 hours in 28 days. How's about:

1/ Moving to airport hotels for nightstops instead of usually more expensive in-town hotels which also incur transport costs

2/ Getting rid of the various additional allowances in the allowances scheme for silly things like sitting in Central Area for an hour or two between flights. Last time I looked, CSDs were paid £54 for this two-hour wait. Barking mad.

3/ Throwing bidline/carmen in the bin

4/ Crew food

5/ Taking out the chauffer-driven limos for LGW crews to get to the simulator at LHR

6/ Tightening up the crew and aircraft scheduling so that the ratio of flying hours to duty hours reduces, i.e. you conduct the 100 flight hours in less duty time and thus earn less duty pay. If combined with binning Carmen rostering, you could probably achieve this quite happily.

That's six things to start with which would cut costs and not require you to exceed the legal maximum on hours. Productivity and cost-effectiveness can be measured in all sorts of ways....