PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAN's MIRSI hold today
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2005, 18:34
BMI701EGCC

MAN's MIRSI hold today

I was helping my dad out today on a dormer in West Leigh, and witnessed some amazing seens over Wigan which is where the MIRSI stack is located(for thise who dont know). This is the first time ive witnessed holding being performed, as i live in Atherton, we only get vectored a/c over us not the actual hold itself, so it was quite a change seeing the aircraft circling. Ive been meaning to go to the site where the MIRSI beacon is located but i just not had time.(ill get to the question yet)......

As i was watching the aircraft going round the track it became evident that no aircraft ever gets the track exactly right, i watched a 757 and a dash 8, one at about 6,000ft and one at about 10,000 both directly above/below one another, but they both turned at different stages, it was quite spectacular to watch, if this wasnt good enough another dash came along, but it entered at about 15-20,000ft, it took around 10-15min to get to the usual 6,000ft, which was equally great to watch.

Once at 6,000ft the aircraft would be vectored at 090 off from MIRSI(over me) to 6L/R, on average it took an a/c 2 circuits at 6,000ft to be allowed to vector.

I wanted to ask as anybody seen such variation like this, like described above?

i know it was a busy day due to the diversion, hope it continues

cheers

Scott Waterworth

Last edited by BMI701EGCC; 28th Nov 2005 at 18:54.