PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2005, 17:26
JerryMaguire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey chaps, it's great seeing the determination in some of you...for those who are disheartened, pls pick yrself up. :o)

Think abt it, it's only the 1st round...u can try for it as many times as u want to (though there was some rumour going that they'll only give each chap 2 tries now)

I applied for the position round Jun, got called for 1st round a week later and then the 2nd round another week later...frankly, I was interested in Aviation and have been playing the microsoft flight simulator for a long time...gave it a long thought and decided to embark on this career...in fact, was pretty convinced myself that the interview would be a breeze...read a couple of airline interview books as well and prep a lot of notes...even went to the extent of meeting up with no. of FO friends and even a CAPT just to find out more...

BUT I DID NOT GET THROUGH THE 2ND ROUND.

Honestly, I felt really bad coz this is what I really wanna do....fly...but was not given the opportunity becoz the interviewers think I might not be suitable for the job. (especially so becoz was told that once u flung the 2nd round, it's the end of the road) Either I did not manage to convince them of my passion or they saw some other things lacking in me...

Nonetheless, I'm not giving up and neither should u chaps! Have done some ground check and there exists some pilots in SIA who have reattempted the 2nd round and passed...amazing but true.

So I'm bidding my time, do a deeper reflection on what went wrong and perhaps give it a long shot after I've sorted myself out.

For the 1st interview, I think the CAPT and the HR chap are just ticking checklist of sorts....my experience was that they were pretty systematic in the asking of questions and honesty is important. Try substantiating watever u say with examples. ie, when they ask if you are afraid of heights and u've done airborne jumps, indicate so. When they ask if you'r claustrophobic, tell them if you'r working on a ship or confined quarters. Plus read up on SIA fleet information and basic technical stuffs on flying. Think that shld suffice....they won't go too deep into details...just an indication of interest to fly and display of some sort of leadership.

In life, there are the gifted ones and the dilligent ones. Both shall be successful so long as they are passionate abt what they do :o)