PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "A380 is a zero-crash aircraft" say Airbus
Old 28th Nov 2005, 12:57
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Hang. You naughtly leg-pulling little devil you!!! But I shall take the bait. My suggestion is not to do with the generation of technology but the newness of it.

When typewriters were invented they would have gone wrong quite a bit until people worked out how to make them and better and operate them better. Trains, planes and automobiles all followed the same process. The difficulty for new a/c is that they will have systems (or variations of) that are new and they cannot be right 100% first time. The Comet taught us some lessons and any series of related prangs will teach a lesson.

When developing a new motorcar, it is cheap and simple to test them to destruction and to drive them into walls to see how they behave. With a/c we have to (generally speaking) model on computer and then wait to see if any real prangs occur. Who knows what lessons the A380 will teach? Perhaps none. Perhaps only less critical systems will fail but empirical testing is the only one that we learn by.

Naturally, no one wants a prang but only a few admit that they will happen. The commercial world understands as well politicians that, customers/voters do not want to know the truth.
--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.