PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2005, 06:51
747 Downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luke Sky Toddler, and others:

Every airline with a UK issued AOC will have to abide by the rules the CAA lay down. With good reason it is imperative that every airline has a good mix of experience.. especially in favour of experienced pilots. Thus, even if AEU wanted to employ a large amount of low houred guys (and I am sure as a quality outfit they would NOT wish to do so) the CAA would prohibit them from doing so. I believe FlyGlobespan are another carrier looking for 'experienced 737 rated crews' as they too have their fare share of cadets at present.

Not many people talk about the numbers of 737 SSTR cadets who find employment. From an Astraeus point of view, about half of my class have found employment.. and no doubt more will find jobs. Each class will be different of course.. with respect to my course guys have got jobs with Astraeus, FlyGlobespan and RyanAir. I believe in other courses people have found work with Air Asia, Sky Europe, Pegasus?, BMI Baby, JET 2 and even BA!

Therefore, just like in the FIC world.. you pay for a FIC course (albeit not as much as 737 Rating.. obviously ) and then you have to find work, not always guaranteed, despite many chaps I know having found at least seasonal work as instructors.

Buying a rating is a gamble.. just like paying for a CPL/Frozen ATPL, which lets be honest most of us have on this forum. Ignore the critics they are blatent sour hypocrites and believe it or not I actually have sympathy for them.. due to their bitter perception. If you do go down the rating route.. do buy hours on the line (some people have got jobs with no hours on type but they are few and far between). It took me 2.5 years to get my first airline (F/O) job.. which ever route you go down; SSTR, FIC or just waiting for that elusive interview.. wish you all the best of luck

747 Downwind