PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belize jobs and money
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2005, 12:25
African Tech Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input

From the mechs point of view as far a sheet metal work goes if you can do this on pressurised aircraft unpressurised are child’s play.
The biggest difference for “us mechs” really is engines – I did my A&P coming from a GA / DC3 / DC6 background with some guys from Virgin who were ex RAF (Phantoms / Jags etc) – the A&P focuses LOTS on light aircraft so I spent a few nights on free beer while I refreshed their memories on how Mags and Spark plugs work

There does seem to be quite a bit of interest on the various forums as to cost of living vs wages in various locations – hence my suggestion.

I understand how the amount for “living wage” may seem high compared with “normal wage” – I’m in SA and I live on an “advisory fee” of 3000USD pm – I say “live” but it’s nothing special – I can pay mortgage for an “average house”, drive an old clunker, get enough to eat, but not save / have weekends away etc etc – conversely I know families with more children who get less than 1000USD pm (my wife’s wage is 2000ZAR [300USD] pm) but also there is an abundance of people walking the streets hoping to get a days work at 50ZAR (7USD) pd, so if they get a job a day they’ll get 210USD pm – I also know people who get far more than I.
So what is a “living salary” – here you can “survive” on $210 (but I have no real idea how they do it), you can “live” on $3300 (mine & wife’s) but I’d say to live “comfortably” you need $4000 +.
Makes considering moves difficult