PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rastas thrown off plane !
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2001, 15:43
Next Generation PSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now before I get shot down in flames and another bun fight begins, I'm as my log on name suggests a Purser, with another charter airline.

It would be interesting to know if possible how old and how much flying experience and on what routes this particular JMC Purser has had. It also begs the question as to how culturally aware JMC trainers make their crews on a their customer care courses?

I suspect by the way it appears - in print here on the board - that she did not have enough, and sounds like what she had was a severe case of jitters/paranoia which has become prevalent throughout the industry in the past few weeks.

I'm also very suprised that the Captain thought it necessary to offload these obviously innocent customers on the grounds of the clothing they were wearing and was equally culturally unaware. Although none of us have seen the designs of the 'offending' t-shirts it would not suprise me either if they didn't have the customary Rastafarian colouring of red, gold and green - shall we also say they probably had dreadlocks - I know I wasn't there, but probably. (by the way I'm caucasian - so no racial axe to grind).

If they were wearing a t-shirt with obsenities or indecent graphics and refused to remove them as they were causing offence to other passengers, then that is a different matter. (sexual swearwords or sexually graphic)

I wonder if any of the passengers on the said JMC flight had actually complained?

I know for a fact at the moment that some inexperienced crew members are having difficulties weighing up what is and what isn't a potential risk or threat to the aircraft and it's passengers, but nevertheless if these feelings are passed onto the Purser/Captain both should have enough experience, maturity and knowledge to weigh up the problem/options sensibly and re-assure or back up the cabin crew members concerned, or should not be in that position of responsibility in the first place.

Some questions I would weigh up and gather information on:

What route are we flying today? - LGW-AGP-LGW, holiday charter, tickets probably bought through a tour operator - probably low risk.

Is it really likely that two passengers/potential terrorists would board an aircraft wearing an image of their 'supposed' leader? - probably not, a bit of a give away really and would as in this unfortunate case draw attention to themselves.

Has another passenger/passengers complained about the t-shirt graphics? - No - so no problem.

Has the customers behaviour caused offence to either myself, my passengers or crew?

It seems to me that this JMC Purser did not think rationally at all about the facts that are present here on the board, and is unfortunately now victim of this error of judgement along with JMC and shall now have to suffer the possible legal and media consequences.

I operate frequently on flights to Egypt and Israel and I consider myself culturally aware along with the crew members I do my best to train. I would be suprised if JMC do not operate similar routes, and therefore their crews, particularly Pursers should be culturally aware.

But no matter what the problem one should always sit back for a few minutes and gather/assess the facts, and possible consequences of a decision before making a decision. And sadly in this case that doesn't seem to have happened.