PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 222 & 230
Thread: Bell 222 & 230
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2005, 04:02
BlenderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aesir,

You are cheating, you are saying that the 222 has plenty of power, but you are in Iceland! Put the 222/230 at anything above sea level and a ISA+10 and its a real dog, I remember the 230 I used to fly, for every degree C that the temperature rose, I would have to deduct 50 pounds of gross weight, to a point where I could only take one or two passengers!

Then in a hover the 222 with SAS was decently stable, but the 230 was not really stable. It hovers so crooked to the side, I hate it. Agile? Don't think so, except if you compare it to a Mi26. Remember those torque spikes when turning? There is even a warning in the FM in regards to this. And the way the torque rises suddenly when operating hot, high and heavy when you use your pedals?

Lastly, if you read the Article in Flying Magazine where the 230 was reviewed, they call the 230 "the most stable Bell ever" and they meant once it was flying, like IFR, I almost thought it was almost like flying an airplane being so stable once you got airspeed.

Lastly FSI's B222/230 simulator is not working right now, not that the old one with mirrors was much good, but I was going to attend the course last month to be able to ferry a 222SP down to SA and they told me it was going to be a while until they had training available.