PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - We should ask for more money
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2005, 11:54
Chief Whip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarik is correct the pay and conditions as a professional pilot have dropped so much over the last twenty years that it is no longer a financially attractive profession.

BALPA has a lot to answer to and it is they who should now seriously push for major improvements. One big problem we have is with how pay increases are arrived at. Many airlines now use a comparison with similar airlines, so if xxx airline only offers a 2% pay rise that is what the rest of us receive. I am not a great one for cross comparisons in other industries but a GP ( who was once paid a similar if not lower amount to a pilot) is now earning around £100,000 according to a recent newspaper article whereas the average pilot salary is considerably less. As for pilots just entering the industry having to pay £60k for their initial training and then only receiving £15k salary is insane. The accountants have got wise to the fact that we actually enjoy flying and there are people who will do nearly anything to achieve that first job, not that I can blame them but this is partly to blame for the problems we are facing.

For those of you who think we are already over paid whingers, why? Should all employees be dragged down to the lowest common denominator. Maybe you should start a campaign so that every one throughout the world is paid the same amount as a paper boy. I for one want to improve my way of life to the maximum. Therefore I will continue to push for improvements in my industry, and I suggest you strive to improve your chosen employer to improve your conditions rather than trying to drag the rest of us down.