PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - purchase pa 38
Thread: purchase pa 38
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2005, 00:38
BeechNut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can find one (only 312 made), the lookalike Beech 77 Skipper is a much better aircraft (though probably much more expensive). I bought one last summer because the care and feeding of my Sundowner was getting to be too much; but I wanted to stick with Beech quality. I got a low-timer (2700 hrs airframe, 600 engine) with in-dash GNC 250XL GPS, digital nav/com, xpdr.

Although they look like they should behave the same way, the 77 is completely benign in the stall, with adequate pre-stall buffet so that you don't need the stall warning horn to tell you something's amiss. I have yet to try spinning it; like the Sundowner the manual says it's reluctant to spin without full opposite aileron (yes I can spin my Sundowner, it has the full aerobatic kit). It's very slow though, 90 kts cruise on a good day.

Parts can be an issue, my prop was nicked and the prop was sufficiently near minimum spec that I have to replace it. Took some work to find one but we located one in California...and I'm in Quebec.

I'd stay away from a nearly 9000 hour Traumahawk. My Sundowner has over 10,000 on the airframe though and is built like tank.

Beechnut
(handle should be obvious by now!)
1980 model 77 Skipper
1979 model C23 Sundowner (for sale)