PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair's delayed/cancelled flights yesterday
Old 24th Nov 2005, 22:39
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diversion = somewhere you go because you don't have a choice.

Alternate = somewhere you may go because where you wanted to go isn't possible.

Yes, a diversion can happen without much warning or other options. An alternate is the first choice, as there's some control over what's going to happen when you get there.

What I was suggesting was the basics, there's a lot more to this than the level of discussion here, and FR economics will also be a factor, if the landing fee at destination is (say) E500, and the diversion to a fancy well equipped local airport is E1500, and a diversion to a smaller but available airport somewhere else is E600, where are you going to go?

There's a lot more to this than just dropping in to another airfield just because it's close.

I'm not saying that FR's policy is right, wrong or a shade between I was trying to make the point that there's a LOT more to operating in bad weather than was implied by the original posts.

Simplified it might have been, B s is is not, i've made enough flights and done the diversions myself for all manner of reasons.