PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Sims
Thread: Flight Sims
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2005, 21:35
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ekiam:

I guess I’d want to know what you meant by your statement that you would “…have to be able to fly the sim on it…” and, what you mean by “…the sim…” before I could give you a really good answer. For example ....

If you’re talking about programming that can be verified as accurate and one that contains the operation of the aircraft systems and such, I would think that almost any laptop/notebook computer would fill that need. Keeping abreast with and understanding as many of the nuances of an aircraft’s systems is always a good idea and can be a somewhat pleasant way of spending a long lay-over in a less-than-desirable location. But, you note that I said, “can be verified.” From where did the programming come? How do you know that what this program will present is accurate? If you don’t know these answers, how do you know that what you’ll see is worth the effort and the cost? Keep in mind that in the aircraft, systems work together. If the computer is programmed to represent a lot of single systems – they very likely will not be integrated and therefore, more than likely will not replicate what goes on in the aircraft. Also, some of these programs are generated from information provided by “pilots” who have provided their “expertise” as to the operation of the systems – at least the way they understand them.

The reason I go into this in such detail is that I know there ARE software programs for aircraft systems operation that are taken directly from the FAA/JAA approved flight simulators that can and do run on personal computers – either desk top or laptop/notebook. That is the kind of software you would want (I would think) and not some kluged-together representation. After all, you might be placing yourself at the mercy of the accuracy of those providing the information if you ever wind up flying that particular aircraft type. Secondly, I wouldn’t spend any money (read that as “zero”) on a laptop or notebook that you think may sharpen your piloting skills. Trust me that is just not going to happen. If you’re interested, I can go into the details of this, but suffice it to say – don’t waste your money.

Of course, if you’re only interested in “flying the sim” and seeing how well you can land your “B747” on the aircraft carrier deck, or see if you can complete an Immelman Turn and a Split S, and then safely land on the runway, all with all engines failed … there are a lot of forums available where I’d bet you could get a good answer.
________
AirRabbit

Last edited by AirRabbit; 25th Nov 2005 at 00:49.