PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS
Thread: LEEDS
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2005, 14:34
Leodis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly I have to say that this is a DRAFT proposal and the airport has asked for public opinion.

Passenger numbers to increase

I think all in all the proposals look quite reasonable. The only thing that I feel doesn't add up are the expected passenger figures of 4.7 milion by 2016. The airport handled around 1.4 million passengers just two or three years ago, with 2.7 million expected this year rising to 3 million in 2006. So the airport has doubled its passengers in three years but it doesn't expect passenger figures to double again for another ten years. It is my opinion that the airport will probably handle 4.7 million passengers by the year 2009 rising to 7 million by 2016. I have based this growth on Leeds and other airports of similar size and catchment.

Proposed future runway extension

The report says this is to be looked at again every five years. Land has been set asside at both ends of the runway for upto aproximately 550 metres in total. Although an extension would be advantageous, the airport has a list of other priorities that must be addressed prior to this. Technical advances are available at less cost to effectively increase the available runway for landings without extending the actual concrete.

Proposed parallel taxiway and extended tunnel

This project is a must if the airport is to carry on increasing the number of aircraft using the airfield. It is not an ideal setup at the moment where aircraft have to make full back-tracks of the runways before take off and after landing. This proposal is fundermental to the airports future growth and it must be carried out as soon as possible.

Additional aircraft parking stands

The proposals are to increase the aircraft parking stands from 18 to 29. Again the timescale for this looks wrong. The airport often has all stands in use during the night time in the summer months. Extra parking stands are needed now if the airport is to attract additional based aircraft.

Additional carpark space

I think the number of serface carparks needs to be addressed, the airport must look at multistorey carparking medium to long-term.

New rail links from Horsforth to Guiseley with a station at the airport

This is a fantastic proposal if it ever gets of the ground. The service could be used by people from Yeadon and Rawdon as well as airport passengers. Guiseley could also have a new station incorperated into these proposals.

New road link from the Leeds Ring Road to the airport

The airport needs a link road. The A658 and the A65 in the Aireborough area are very busy even off peek. The DfT has said in the White Paper for airports that without a new link road it cannot see how the A658 can cope without making it into a dual carrigeway. The proposed link road is also fundermental to the future growth of the airport.

Proposed areas for airport related employment

There are two main areas earmarked the this, Airport West is already under construction and will generally be used for light industrial. The other main area will be opposite the main terminal and will probably be used for additional hotel developments. Projects such as these should help the airport to maximise its income.

Additional terminal developments

Although the plans appear non-specific, the land set asside for future development to the terminal covers over half a mile of land. Enough land has been set asside for a sunstantially sized terminal to be built.

My summary

I think the airports plans for sustainable growth incorperating various environmental measures is the correct way forward. Whilst I feel the timescale for some of the proposals need adjusting, the projects proposed are reasonable. Overrall the proposals will allow for greater flexibility by airlines to operate to destinations further afield. The airport must try and meet its goals sooner if its proposals are to propel the airport into the next division.

Leodis