PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After Ansett, the Plug Gets Pulled at Air New Zealand
Old 25th Sep 2001, 07:36
Clive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prospector.... agreed, to use the Erebus tragedy is to open a can of worms. My motivation was to highlight the "corporate culture" that manifested itself in the years of squabling that resulted from Erebus.

I feel the aviation industry needs more of the culture that saw Ansett learn from its latent failures that, or example, resulted in the 747 nosegear incident in Sydney. That culture saw real change in an effort to stop any similar events in the future - including the production of a training video (lauded around the world) that pulled no punches in its self criticisim.

I wish no ill on the hard working and dedicated staff of Air NZ. I personally believe they produce a service product that few other airlines could equal, and I would not wish the situation that Ansett finds itself in on anyone (except for the board, perhaps). But all the best training in the world and all the best intentions in the world cannot assist those who wish to use their skills of "protection" when defending the latent failures of a senior management who only ever exhibit their skills of "production".