PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Annex 6 Amendment Proposal Flt Ops Officer/Flęght Dispatchers
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 15:21
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Seaton.
I applaud your efforts in trying to get some form of certification and deeply regret that the FAA Dispatch course was cancelled.

In my early career (a very long while ago) I was fortunate that the Airline I (mis)spent my youth in was Training oriented. Even when I took external courses they were supportive (refunding after completion of the course).

I have long been aware of how extremely lucky I was.
Although in later years as a Consultant had to fund my own training/development and therefore understand the problem of both funding a course and also the loss (or at least potential loss) of income whilst attending it, which further increases my admiration in your 'going it alone'.

Throughout this thread EM and I have to a large extent been reading from the same page. However I think he may be using a later edition :-)

Whilst I would like to see a professional association of Operations Officers, I believe this would be a fall out of Certification, not a prelude to it.

I also believe that despite, on occasion, my implied (OK sometimes direct :-) criticism of UKOMA, that they need to be the single industry voice pushing this forward.

Forming a 'grassroots' pressure group is not in my opinion going to get the momentum necessary to be a factor in assisting change.

So although some form of regulatory certification is nearer today than it has ever been, unfortunately your approach of:
If the company won't do it
If the company won''t assist me.
Then I'll do it myself
is to the shame of the industry currently the last resort for those who want their abilities formally recognised.

DIH