PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mauritius defies IFALPA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 18:12
james64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi boys and girls!

A couple of comments

MK has not yet received the report from the CAA. However, it is clear that the conclusions of Mr. David Gibb are forceful enough to now sanction RR
I would like to understand one thing here: why on earth is the report of Mr Gibb be grounds for any sanction against RR since he acted as President of his association. Surely, if the association is wrong, you shoot the association and not the messenger. Now, that is assuming that indeed the association is wrong. WHich brings me to my second comment:

In the UK, CONTACTABLE is DUTY. Now, how on earth did the CAA Mr Gibb come to a conclusion opposite to the current UK industry standard baffles me and my colleagues. Should we undertstand that the meaning of the CAP371 is one in the UK and another in the third world and Africa? So, if I get off the end of the runway in Cairo on my G registered aircraft, the CAA investigation can potentially have a different conclusion compared to the same occurence being investigated in Luton under exactly the same circumstances! Now, taking into account the globalised nature of our job, this is certainly NOT good news! Here I will be OK, over there, I might be shot at dawn...

These ambiguities have the potential of creating a major problem for the CAA. Indeed, UK institutions have been the Golden Standard in the world for hundreds of years. Reputable institutions like our Parliament, Court system, Universities, BBC (!) etc have been world famous, a source of reference and inspiration.

Today, the interpretation of a few individuals of the "rules for Africa" has the potential to discredit the UK CAA... I shall not comment on the joy across the channel that such a situation might create! (I can already hear our French neighbours rubbing their hands with a wide grin on thier faces, with a wink to our Dutch friends). The UK CAA will find it harder to get itself taken seriously at the JAA. God only know what kind of political and power arena that institution is. And now, THAT!

Last but not least, how is RR doing? Keep it up mate! You are NOT alone!