PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cable to ADSL advice please .....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 17:24
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable to ADSL advice please .....

Hello

I have been living in the States for a while, using a Cable broadband modem linked to a desktop PC and a wireless router, allowing wireless web access on my laptop combined with a WEP encrypted "family" LAN between PC and laptop. I set up this network without any problems and it has run fine the whole time.

I am returning to UK where our village is fortunate to be served with ADSL. I am going to sign up to an ADSL provider, however whereas my cable modem is "always on", I understand from my father that the ADSL is not. When he goes online, his ADSL modem actually sort of dials out, connects, then disconnects when he is finished, rather like traditional dial up. He only has one PC so it is all easy however how does this change with a wireless LAN? Does one have to load the ISP ADSL software onto both PC and Laptop so both can connect, or just the PC hooked up the router?

Furthermore, can anyone recommend a decent good value router? I was looking at something like this which appears to not even need a ISP provided modem?

TIA

Oggin