PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather from Hurricane Gamma possible factor in Belize plane crash.
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 16:52
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've got a good point bumboclot. Unfortunately, this is a problem throughout the region, and a root of the problem is the lack of enough government funding to go into infraestructure-- runways, radar, nav-aids, approach development, as well as the authorities who often are charged with regulating and supervising aviation. While the international airports have world-class facilities, many others do not. When I look at my local airport the local airport, the neglect is painfully obvious and it is clear that the place has seen better days (I sometimes like to imagine what it was like decades ago).

Many of the countries in the region (including Belize) suffer from a categorization problem simply because national governments can ill afford to invest in their Civil Aviation Directorates when they can't even raise funds to pave their highways or repair potholes in existing highways. Supervision, supervision, and more supervision (from a government entity which plays fair and has real teeth) play a key role in contributing to aviation safety.

Unfortunately, aviation is an expensive business and someone has to pay for it. My hope remains with GPS as an inexpensive and reliable measure to provide all-weather navigation and approaches to almost anywhere. This will help, in great part, reduce the number of VFR into IMC types of accidents (I say this keeping in mind that at this moment, the probable cause has not been established for the said accident) in many cash-strapped parts of the world.

Unfortunately, even so-called "First World" countries such as Canada and the USA have a fair amount of aviation disasters, year after year after year, for the same reasons as the ones that happen in Latin America-- VFR into IMC leading to CFIT, fuel exhaustion, operators pushing limits, economics "or a false perception of economics" creating bent metal.

My condolences to the families and friends of the victims.