PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Corners to Crucify AusSAR
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2001, 17:54
criticalmass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

IMHO it begins to look like an issue of accountability on the part of senior bureaucrats. To me, the organisation has become a role-playing organisation, rather than a task-achieving one.

This is usually a sign of bureaucratic maturity, when career bureaucrats replace the trailblazers who set up organisations but who are inherently distrusted by the grey suits who see them as interlopers in the seamless business of bureaucracy.

The future of organisations which settle into this maturity is predictable. They become sinecures for public service mandarins who have waited patiently for the rewards due to them for decades of loyal, but undistinguished, service. These organisations subsequently degenerate into toothless entities until they threaten the very credibility of the government under which the operate.

The usual cure is a re-organisation...the result of which is a foregone conclusion, but the execution of which deludes spectators into believing that reforms have been made and deadwood has been cleared.

In reality, nothing changes. The best thing is to not require SAR in the first place, but if you do, please do everybody a great favour and die quickly, preferably without activating your EPIRB or ELT, which will save the expense of the SAR effort, itself a huge a distraction from the real business of the organisation, empire-building by senior bureaucrats whose only qualification for the job is a good set of connections with the incumbent administration.

I'd be cynical about it if I thought it would help!