PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 Corners to Crucify AusSAR
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2001, 02:54
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And while they're at it why don't they do something positive and show the Oz public the US Coast Guard and the way they operate both as border control AND a huge SAR resource as a by product, or did they start the other way round.
It really doesn't matter, if we don't do something real soon it won't matter.

I'm going to be off the air for about 4 days but I will be watching with interest.
I will be disappointed with 4 Corners if it turns into a beat up.

Zarg old chap, trouble is, if they have never seen it work when properly resourced, and competently managed then they don't have a means of assesment. Management isn't the issue, I reckon the work you guys do with the limited to non existent resources avbailable to you in what is suppposed to be a 1st world country never ceases to amaze me.

Take Bullimore for example and not to take it away from the Navy, but we had to send a FIRST line ship, with a dodgy main engine yet, with a fleet oiler following it. The official line was for replenishment but I rather suspect as a tow if necessary.
I mean really, the biggest Island in the world surrounded by 3 or 4 oceans and I don't care for a pedantic argument on the geography and that is the best we can do.

We can't even protect our fisheries without serious Naval involvement, tying up the other FIRST line ship chasing some poachers across the Southern Ocean.

But then it's way more important to spend the money to shut the bleeding hearts up by turning the country into a holiday camp for Middle Eastern countries.

Well anyway, I'm going fishing, if there are any left.

Keep your chin up Zarg