PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's insane us or the boss???
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2005, 08:59
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's insane us or the boss???

Hi Folks,

The company I work for have a policy that a few of the current staff think is madness, and I was just looking to see if 'it's us' or whether this regime is common place.

Company uses two types of staff. Employed PAYE and a couple of self employed contractors for AOC and Instructional work. Staff are purely paid by the flying hour with no retainer.

Current policy is that ALL staff on their rostered working days/available days will be at the office from 0830 till 1730. This is regardless of whether there is any work booked in or whether the weather is good enough to fly.

I have been with this company a while and accept that the industry demands some free working and very long hours and I have no problem with this. But it seems lunacy to keep your staff sat around all day doing and earning nothing. Management response apart from tutting when you 'cap in hand' ask to leave is that pilots should always be around in case of 'walk in work' or potential students beacuse that's the nature of our industry. We're trying to suggest that one pilot could cover this on flyable days but that on poor weather days our time could be better used getting on with other things.

We feel undervalued and asking for the time off is always awkward given the managers sigh/ look at their watch/ company line Is there some reason we are missing that prevents an Ops person being able to work on their own?????

Anybody else have to work like this?
I've seen very little walk in work and don't believe that on poor weather days potential customers will have a problem with us calling them back.

Any thoughts??????