PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Our Gyrodyne Future?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2005, 16:35
UNCTUOUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our Gyrodyne Future?

http://www.iasa-intl.com/folders/bel...e_Gyrodyne.pdf

www.gbagyros.com

The supporters of this concept see a gyrodyne as being a solution to all sorts of looming air traffic, hub and airfield problems.

The only downside that I can see in the gyrodyne concept thus far is the sensitivity to vibration induced by rotor flexibility, tracking and wing and fuselage interaction - not to mention differing flexures in thermal and other types of turbulence (orographic, wake, clear air turb (CAT) in the jetstream etc). Fatigue accrual rates would be high.

I'm finding it hard to conceive of a rotor that large, albeit tip-jet powered, hacking the mission without tracking refinements via a myriad of minute adjustments per revolution (courtesy of a very high speed computer).

My gut feeling is that it won't ever be built because the prototype will discover something akin to ASYMMVR lurking in the wings (a dangerous place as any thespian will tell you).

Directional stability throughout the speed range? Flight control harmonization? Operational envelope? All quite in the realm of: "Well that's for now "another story"".

What advantages does it have over tilt-rotor or tilt-wing? Does anybody have any grip on the theory or concept of gyrodyne operation?

Will it succeed or won't it?

And if not, why not?