PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Heavy Vibration - should I report it?
Old 21st Nov 2005, 16:32
Jonp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 747-400 Heavy Vibration - should I report it?

Guys and Gals, can you help...

I am a Heli and fixed wing pilot with about 800hrs combined (hopefully to qualify that I am not a total prat)

I flew BA017 on the 12th November LHR-Singapore (21.15, Seat 33c) and as we rotated from 27R there was the most awful vibration through the airframe. Not your usual wheels still turning, but a very harsh shuddering which I guess lasted for about 4-5 seconds. My fellow passengers all thought it was very serious, so I thought it should be reported. I was quite worried.

I contacted the local cabin crew as soon as the seatbelt lights were out and they also said they had felt nothing like it. I suggested very seriously that they report it to the flight crew - which they did.

The CSR came back about 15 minutes later and was very dissmissive about the noise and said that the captain said that it was either the wheels still spinning, or wake turbulence from the previously departing aircraft and not to worry.

I asked if he or the pilot felt the vibration, however they said they did not as they were at the front of the aircraft.

I suggested again, that had this been my aircraft, it would be noted in the tech log and I would have taken (as PIC) it very seriously, especially as it was reported by some cabin staff and a qualified pilot.

Again, the CSR went off, but never came back to me.

Should this be escalated? Your thoughts would be interesting?

Regards, Jon P