PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2005, 11:22
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheq, kookabat, Lister, stue, disco, happyeater, mazzy, cadahah, jwf ... thanks for all the kind comments. It is great to be able to share this with those who are closely involved in what's required in the PPL quest.

I've spent some time re-reading parts of this thread today. There is so much great information here that will help all of us through to the point where the examiner says 'Congratulations'. Mazzy - you should ask permission from PPRuNe powers that be to get this thread turned into a book ;-)

Future plans? Well, I'll stick around this thread for a while, at least until some more of you are qualified. I'll do the usual flights with family and friends over houses and places of interest. Although many of my friends / family live in Leeds or Manchester so opportunities to fly overhead will be limited due to restrictions.

At the flying school there is a DA40 for hire. I'd like to get a type rating for one of these. Very nice, fully kitted out with the latest avionics.

Then there is the IMC rating. That is my next target. I want to do it for the challenge but also for safety reasons and to make my flying more flexible.

Night rating? I'm not keen. I know some people think it is a great feeling, I'm just too risk averse. PFL in the dark anyone? I'll wait until I get my twin engine rating first ;-)

And then there is my ultimate goal, funds permitting. I want to get a PPL(H). I've always thought helicopters to be a truer 'flying machine'. There is something about them that is just so cool. And having had a helicopter lesson way before I started on fixed wing, and having flown about 3hrs in helicopters on leisure flights I'm still hooked.

Oh, and also in the 'things to do' list are gliding. Some would argue it makes a better pilot because you have to 'feel' the flying rather than managing the flightpath. Also on this list is aerobatic training, again to improve my skills and push things to the envelope in a safe and controlled manner and also to have fun.

The Jet Provost blast out of Sandtoft. Or a trip to Thunder City in South Africa for a Hunter or Lightning flight.

I'll probably stick to renting at this time. Although there is a small airstrip only 2 miles from home (Crosland Moor - a.k.a. Huddersfield International). It would be fantastic having my own or shared aircraft there to take out every now and then...

Thinks: I need a pay rise, or a lottery win!