PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF to Lossie, MR4A to Kinloss
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2005, 08:45
Biggus

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts
All this jock/scotland bashing is revealing (about those writing if nothing else) and fun to watch, but totally irrelevant. The logic behind the decisions is simple enough:

Kinloss/MRA4 - All the senior neddies wanted to close Kinloss and move the MRA4 to Waddo, putting all the ISTAR assets together, better for logistics, less turbulence on posting within the ISTAR world, etc, etc - lots of good military, social, morale, reasons! However, it was all about costs. Having done a lot of work to prepare Kinloss for the MRA4 (in the days when we were buying 18-21) the projected costs for closing Kinloss and moving the MRA4 south (plus preparing Waddo) was huge. I have heard estimates of 500-750 million!! Therefore it was a non starter!! We work annual budgets (10 yr core), the savings made by closing Kinloss would take far too many years to recoup the up front cost of the move!

JSF/Lossie - I understanding is that JSF is very, very noisey - so they were looking for a coastal airfield to reduce the number of noise complaints. If St Mawgan is out of the picture Lossie is the obvious choice. When you hear a JSF WEBF imagine how the good people of Yeovil will react to it being based in their back yard. Rather than doing the people of Elgin a favour the MoD are exporting their noise polution to Scotland.

P.S - BEagle. To the best of my knowledge there are 2 pubs within staggering distance of Kinloss main gate. That is before you consider Findhorn, Forres, Alves, Elgin, Hopeman, Burghead, Nairn...........