PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK
Thread: CORK
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2005, 06:37
asianfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem in not using an air-bridge, and in many ways like the fact that you can just walk off the plane and into the terminal. However, given the large increase in movements and a limited number of stands near the terminal entrance, passengers in general have a longer walk to and from aircraft. As a result, in inclement weather (which Cork Airport seems to revel in), getting soaked to the skin is not unusual. Hence the argument for a cheap alternative, namely covered walkways or bus shuttles.
As for air-bridges specifically, they were included in the original plans but have obviously got chopped due to budgetary contraints. Likewise, the new contol tower and (I believe) a paralell taxiway also got the chop. Given the above, I find it hard to believe but am not surprised that there is no change out of 160m Euro. In my opinion, the new terminal and the associated works (new multi-storey carpark and approach roads) are very poor value for money. Worse, I fear that it will be a millstone around the neck of the airport going forward as you can bet your bottom dollar that the CAA will be left carrying the can in terms of debt.