PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in Dunedin (NZ)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2005, 05:16
Capt. On Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess I'm wrong on the prices then Goatee, will check next time I'm there, was only quoting what I was told 4 weeks ago. However I fail to see how flying in a technam is going to help 809 get a CPL! And yes I must have missed that Supp explaining how hire rates are now on the tim tams.

plus youneed that mountain flying experience- which you cannot get anywhere else in the country)
Suppose I agree to a point. But many mountain flying skills can be taught in decent areas of terrain and many low flying areas in other parts of the country. There are specific things to be learnt from flying in genuine mountainous terrain and of course there is no substitute for local knowledge but I think some people get a bit too precious about mountain flying 'skills.' We should all know what air does going over a hill etc. Dare anyone suggest that any ZQN/Southern trained pilots do a 50 hour programme for navigating about tiger country in the central North Island or how those damn ADF's behave on the PP approach or how that NDB Bravo at AP often slides you towards the mountain or visual illusions on approach to the aircraft carrier (WR) or traversing water around the Hauraki Gulf with poor visibility and cloud base or routes to take when flying in the vicinity of and conducting landings at GB and OX in strong ****ty winds or the weather in ANY other part of the goddamned country!

Expecting the inevitable replies.