PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Absence Management Program
Old 4th May 2001, 01:39
davidmccracken

Mr Checksix, a rather human posting. I commend you for it.

Mr Rongotai. David can have it both ways as he is trying to activate a discussion rather than give sentimental views.

You are correct I have not read the literature to which you refer and quite frankly I do not think I will. I find it distressing that people can spend years studying something that (for example) a pilot had only a few minutes or seconds to study and then come to the conclusion that the pilot was at fault. I appreciate that this situation is different to the above example but you get my drift.

The statistics you give are interesting but not totally revealing. Infact, the way you word it is rather sensational. What must be remembered is that not all pilots working for CX are sick 365 days per year. Most Pilots would call in sick if they were sick. That leaves the odd pilot, who because of this policy would go to work and increase his chances of disaster because of this. Surely this man should not be flying.

Pilots do not go to work saying, "I hope I don't crash today." When I get in a car I do not say that. It must be pointed out here that the consequences of the two things on a personal level are pretty much equal. (Give me a little scope here!) If I die alone I will not feel any different to if I die with another 400 people. Maybe in the pilots case, death is the easier option.

This is sensationalism and totally pointless.

Putting aside the CX management for a minute, just how many pilots would this affect? In principal it affects you all but in reality it will have consequences for very few.

No doubt as this discussion develops I will have the chance to provoke the arguement further. (I do like a good discussion.)

I am not into giving advice but I feel my 2d worth might be well headed in this instance.

That is:-

The policy sucks! However people have pride. If you don't give people the chance to back down gently the chances are they won't back down. The term 'Losing Face' comes to mind here.

Think about it.

As for Game Set and Match. Please get up earlier in the morning.