PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S76 down in Baltic Sea (Now incl NTSB Safety Recommendation)
Old 20th Nov 2005, 18:45
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 439 Likes on 232 Posts
The Flight Manual says "no stick jump" during the pre-flight hydraulics check. I am absolutely certain this means nothing other than just that. That's what I have always been led to understand, especially on the S-76.

I've never found any problem with the hydraulics (of any helicopter) apart from leaks / pressure loss and so it is easy to become complacent. However, in view of this report I will personally be even more vigilant during these particular checks. I will also be more concerned about the possible implications of an in flight "Servo Jam" warning.

I recall a Chinook crash in the Falklands Islands, about twenty years ago, that killed some colleagues of mine in similar circumstances to this accident. That aircraft nosed over to the vertical from 1,000ft on a post maintenance test flight and went straight in. No conclusive evidence was found although there was some discussion about manufacturing standards / specification and matching of critical hydraulic components. Perhaps there is more we must learn here.

Last edited by ShyTorque; 20th Nov 2005 at 19:08.