PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU-US Open Skies Agreed
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2005, 15:40
dallas dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel8,

Considering AA and UAL have tie-ins with UK based carriers and would expect to connect onward traffic through LHR, [AA-BA and UAL-BMI].

IMO, it would make sense for AA to shift its DFW-LGW flights to LHR to consolidate ground ops and save a bunch of money on the current split operation. Obviously, the cost of three pairs of slots, and slot availabilty, may be prohibitive.

In the case of NWA, CAL and DAL their partners' hubs [KLM, AF] offer connecting traffic through Amsterdam or Paris, therefore any desire to move to LHR would be an expensive distraction.

For O & D traffic solely between the US and UK, LGW IS a viable option.

Frankly, I prefer it as it's just as easy to ride into London on the Gatwick Express.

From a marketing perspective LHR may appear to be the gateway jewel in the same way JFK is regarded versus Newark.

Instead of getting involved in a costly fight for an LHR presence I'd spend a few more bucks pumping up the advantages of LGW and identify further US-LGW opportunities.

I think this is part of the "win" for the US. Standy for rumours of a real second runway at LGW.

DD

Last edited by dallas dude; 20th Nov 2005 at 15:54.