PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Absence Management Program
Old 3rd May 2001, 22:35
davidmccracken

Can someone explain to me (after reading the rest of this post) why monitoring the sickness of crew should compromise flight safety?

There seems to be a lot of assumptions here.

You all claim to be professional pilots. You all seem to admit that you do not work (or at least DID NOT work)for a mickey mouse airline. (Sentiment noted!)

On the subject of professional pilots:- Surely none of you would put yourselves at risk (forget the 100s behind you) by flying if you were unfit to do so. Naturally you wouldn't, irrespective of the consequences. So if that is the case (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) why do you feel the need to voice an opinion on the matter?

Mr Water Check's comment implying that an airline should treat its pilots with respect and honesty is laughable. Can someone tell me what makes a pilot more honest than the next man? As for respect:- You are payed to do a job that most of you love doing and as Mr Kangar says, if you don't like it ..... leave.

Of course none of you commenting or moaning about this policy are intending to leave.

'Empty vessels.....'
'Those that can do. Those that can't teach.'

The truth of the matter is pilots are no different to any other people although I appreciate that many of you think you are. They are prone to take the odd 'sicky' like everyone else.

Now you may think that CX is being a bit silly with this policy. I would have have a tendency to sympathise with you if this was unique. However no matter what line of work you are in, people are always watching you. I think the only mistake CX management made was making it public.

Mr Kangar, to a certain extent, has missed what this excersise is about. Why pay a pilot n thousand a month when you can get someone to do the job for n/2 thousand per month. If this policy results in you leaving then so what. The airline will replace you. Sure there may be a few spates of industrial action along the way but the long term picture has to be looked at beyond the flared nostrils of one or two self opinionated pilots.

If you think monitoring staff sickness compromises safety, it is clear that you feel you could be pressurised into flying when you are sick. If that is the case you should give up flying.

If a pilot is always sick then maybe he shouldn't be flying at all.

No doubt I will be posting later.