PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 series 700 and 800 emergency exit rows.
Old 20th Nov 2005, 08:06
surfnsun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Claret

Re the pax next to you, it is disappointing that either the person allocating them the seat, or the F/A's, did not seek to seat him somewhere else. Seems that they may have done so more for the person's convenience, given his size. Disappointing. A CAIR report, or similar, might not have gone astray.

I'm not saying the system is perfect but it does raise, in those passengers minds, a degree of awareness that they may actually have to open the exit should the worst happen.

It's not long ago that there weren't any specific exit row briefings given to pax. Save for a complex briefing pre-flight, including an overview of human factors covering a person's reaction in times of stress, etc, etc, I'm not sure how else this should be best managed.

One option might be for the airlines adopt a voluntary system of identifying, through FF programs, pax who are also aircrew, in consideration of their 20:11, CRM, TEM, etc., training. These pax could then be given preference for exit row seating. Not sure how this would be received though.

Flying Frypan

Just re-read your post. I note your comment that DJ do not give a brief for pax in 1ABC. My colleague and I received one anyway on a flight ex ML some weeks ago. Obviously a little extra that was noted and appreciated.

Buster Hymen

Re the DJ flight, if I recall correctly, the card showed how to open the exit, but doesn't indicate if it is armed. A non-aviation pax probably wouldn't know what is meant by 'armed'. Opening the door deploys the slide, therefore it is assumed it is used in an armed condition.

Last edited by surfnsun; 20th Nov 2005 at 08:46.