PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Landing Video
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2005, 07:31
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts
ABIW,

Interesting sentiment. I was the Chinook captain who handed over the Bitburg task to the crew involved in the occurrences there. I was also the one "dobbed" to go down to the Falklands 3 days before Christmas to take over from the pilot who had been involved in the shenanigans - if you remember, he was stopped in the departure lounge at Brize and told to go back to Germany to participate in the investigation. So you think the promotion-seeking Flt Lt was wrong, do you?

Well, I don't. A measure of how naive I can be is that when SKPR told me the reason for the investigation it took me 2-3 days to be convinced there was a case. I had no idea that people I worked alongside (the 2 crews on the second half of the Sandhurst task) were capable of being so stupid. Despite the fact that I suffered an additional short-notice S Atlantic summer (with the pilot of the Merlin as Sqn Cdr - a story for another time, perhaps) I am grateful to all whistle-blowers for helping rid us of unpredictable, unstable operators. "Unfortunate miscreant"? Yeah, right...

Different form of alleged-misdeed from the one being discussed in this video, though. At least MB didn't deliberately set out to flout significant numbers of rules or operate in a manner contrary to the spirit of the organisation.