PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 series 700 and 800 emergency exit rows.
Old 20th Nov 2005, 05:05
SydGirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting points raised.

Statistically, in emergency situations it is the self-help exits (which are usually overwing exits) that are most often opened. This is because passengers are not educated in how to check safe and assess prior to opening the exit and then also what exactly to do once the exit is opened. I do not believe, and think any reasonable person would agree, that a pax should be expected to know this information - this is why crew are on board and receive the relevant training.

So therefore, if a pax did open an overwing exit in an emergency situation and by doing this ended up harming people because of this action, would not be considered liable.

The exit row briefing is to ascertain that the people sitting in the exit row are both able and willing to ASSIST in the event of an emergency. The briefing does not constitute a "training" of the pax so therefore I do not believe there is any liability.

If you were seated in an exit row and did not receive a briefing, then I believe you need to speak up (manage upwards!) and insist your row is briefed - it could save your life.

Just MHO
SG