PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 series 700 and 800 emergency exit rows.
Old 19th Nov 2005, 21:52
Chief Chook
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those questions you ask surfnsun, are ones I would like answered too.

I'm not so much concerned with airlines trying to shift liability, but I believe that if a "nominated person", who accepts the responsibility, does harm people or persons as a direct result of their actions during an evacuation, they may well become liable for damages action. Do the airlines cover them, legally and financially, in this case?

The job of a passenger seated in the emergency exit row is to open the hatch and get the f**K out of the way ie get out.
Well that is certainly not my understanding. Those "nominated persons" may also be asked to assist with the actual evacuation of some pax who might have trouble evacuating eg. the infirmed and elderly, or injured.
The "nominated person" might also be used to restrain pax from overcrowding the exit in use, or be used to stop pax from evacuating through an unusable exit.

As a previous poster said, only "lip service" is currently given to what may potentially be a life-threatening position for the "nominated people", and the passengers on board, as well as the Flight Attendant who supposedly briefed the emergency exit row occupants.

Do the airlines care?
They will once the lawsuits start!

Do the F/A's care?
They will, once they are made responsible for the lack of information given to those "nominated persons"!