PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual Phenomena
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2005, 18:39
Jetset320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unusual Phenomena

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'm sure that there is some 'technical' explaination.

A couple of nights ago I was flying south out of BHX. It was a clear night with some scattered cloud and most importantly it was full moon.

When flying directly abeam the moon (i.e. the moon on my left shoulder), I saw a bright light on the ground that attracted my attention. By the time I focused it had gone, but a few seconds later, I saw it again, always in a line between me and the moon.

We kept the same heading for a long time, so for over 15/20 mins this phenomena continued every few seconds. It was as if someone was shining a huge spotlight on the ground for 2 or 3 seconds at a time. The light would light up factory roofs, curves in roads, rivers/streams etc.

It was so strange that I called the F/O to have a look, just to put my mind at rest that I am not seeing things!

I have actually seen this happen on 2 other occasions, always with a full moon, so I am sure this is the cause, but I have no idea of the physics involved.

Since I've seen it so infrequently I think it requires that the full moon is directly abeam, and about 45 degrees above (not too high). But how does this happen? Has anyone else seen it?