PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD pays £5 Million to plane crash victims family - Update
Old 18th Nov 2005, 22:52
BEagle

Received 312 Likes on 114 Posts
Tudor - I share your feelings.

I note from the AAIB report:

Post accident inspection of the aircraft found the throttle to be in the fully open position, with the flaps UP and the cowl flaps OPEN, in accordance with the 'after landing' check list. It was not possible, without using a large amount of force, to close the throttle until the friction had been released.

From the configuration of the aircraft, therefore, it appeared that the pilot was trying to execute a 'go-around' from the runway at the time of the accident even though he did not make any comment to his passengers regarding his intentions.

Furthermore, a colleague, who had been in the aircraft with the pilot on another occasion and in a similar landing situation recalled that when the aircraft had veered to the left on touchdown, the pilot had carried out a 'go-around' by retracting the flaps fully, applying full power and taking off for a further circuit.*

That seems very odd. As was the passengers' statement that "The pilot was seen by his passengers to have both hands on the control column trying to maintain control of the aircraft.."

That sounds awfully like someone resorting to 'motoring' reactions to an unexpected yawing motion on the runway - using aileron rather than rudder. Was he trying to 'steer straight'? A cognitive failure, perhaps? The accident seems to have occurred long after any remote possibility of rotor wake could plausibly have been encountered....

See http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/publicati...sna_501305.cfm for the full report.

RIP

*my bold text for clarity