PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Dies of DVT
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2005, 22:46
gregm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone explain how these socks work, please ("compression socks" someone called them).

I believe they are tight around the leg.......doesn't that slow the blood flow (by restricting it)? Wouldn't slow bloodflow encourage clotting?
Stops legs swelling up because of poor circulation.

My dad had a heart attack in 1991, rather serious event with muscle damge, he took 12 months to recover and to get back to work. Now he is still working part time at the age of 75.

He flies 3 or 4 times a year Sydney to Perth etc has been to Singapore & Hong Kong from Sydney in recent years.

My father would not fly without compression stockings.

Blood clotting occurs when the blood stops moving, or moves slowly.

Anyway my understanding is that the main role of compression stockings is to stop the blood just sitting in lower limbs because of poor circulation
If you have ever taken your shoes off on a long flight and find them a tight fit when you put them back on, this is an example of blood sitting in your feet resulting in your feet swelling up. Happens to me and I suggest to most people.

As SLF I normally take an asprin prior to a long flight, due to its effect of thinning the blood and thus improving circulation. My theory is that this will reduce the possiblity of DVT and a cardiac incident whilst on a long flight.

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/m...hrombosis.html