PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drop Out Rates post PPL
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2005, 21:36
rans6andrew

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
drop outs

in order to understand the dropout rate you might want to start by looking at the reasons people get a pilots licence. In my own case it all started with a trial lesson in a helicopter. I had never been in a helicopter before although I could fly a model one competently, the first lesson was awesome. I could see how easy the instructor made it look and then found out that it is nearly impossible to hover steadily. I had to have another go, I was determined to get the hang of it. One lesson lead to another and eventually I got to go solo and then went on to pass the GFT and get a licence.

I didn't set out to get a licence it just ended up that way. Keeping it up was more of a challlenge though. As someone else noted, to hire a school flying machine you need to book 10-14 days ahead. That far out the weather will be a total unknown, work commitments may have you sent abroad, domestic issues might make it difficult to get out or you might just be overworked and not have the powers of concentration to be safe in the air. Add to that the need to get a check ride if you have not flown for a while and it all gets a bit too difficult

I kept my licence for 3 years but the year of foot and mouth had too few flying events and I let my licence lapse.

I took a year out but found that I was still "walking with my eyes turned skywards" so I thought about the situation. I decided that I needed a flying machine I could get access to at short notice and that I could take away for as long as I wanted. The helicopter is the best toy in the box but way beyond my budget. In the end I bought the Rans S6 and got some conversion training. Good move.

I do know at least one person who owns an aircraft who still barely flys enough to keep his licence. He comes to all of our club meetings but just doesn't seem to get enough buzz from flying to make the treck to the field and rig his aircraft very often. I guess it just doesn't produce the same urge in everyone.

Andrew