PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 18th Nov 2005, 18:19
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ariston: we dont stow during flight, they are worn permanently.
However if stowage was needed there is plenty of room in the cargo bay (accessible in flt).
There is headroom in the EC135 - just! It varies from between 5" and 1" dependant on individual so far anyway!

Letsby: Believe me there have been NO comments/complaints re: neck strain eye strain in 13yrs of nightly use...how long would you like us to fly with them until you're convinced there is no problem?
As discussed, it is the profile we fly. Every night sortie is slightly different, but every one involves a lot of head movement.
Your 7hrs in 10 should read 5-6hrs in 8-9. Have another look at Sect 2 of the POM I.
No-one flies that many night hrs in the police, no-where near!

Floater:
If his contract company want to train him up, they will. They are freely issuing IR's at the moment and an NVIS qual is peanuts compared to the IR!
If a floater turns up at an NVIS unit, non NVIS qualified, then that Unit simply does not fly pilot NVIS that evening - big deal. The Observers can still fly with them though.

Helmetfire: The current favourite is the FENNS 2000,Gen III. I'm not familiar with this model yet as it is the successor to ours (700+) but apparently they have exceptional 'flareout' capabilities and if they are anything like ours cope admirably with large Urban light pollution.
Takeoff criteria like all other aspects of police night flying MUST comply with existing weather and visual cues. IF the goggs fail (unlikely because of parallel power supplies) then we revert to normal (mortal) cues.
Jayteeto: I would concur with your requirements to a certain degree. Our findings have been that a massive spin off for the Obs is that coupled with Nightsun and NVG the dark shadows of buildings become almost 'daylight' in texture and help enormously with tracking hiding suspects.
Silsoesid: Correct!