PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slow 767's
Thread: Slow 767's
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2001, 00:58
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with Brutus and Borgette. I defy anyone on a 767 to be doing 340 knots with 20 to run at 5000' and get in without the boards.

I suppose they might if they could bomb it all the way in to 500' and then slow down from there!

i'll admit that I've questioned some of the blokes I've flown with on why they are slowign down to 220knots when the book says 250 on downwind etc. Having said that, I have come across a bit of a 'mindset' in some guys about not using the boards when in the latter part of the approaches.

I wouldn't have said that QF training were particularly 'biased' toward VNAV either. Certainly for crossing restrictions and speed control (250 below 10'000 for example) but other than that I've only ever come across a feeling of whatever works for you and some suggestions on ways that may keep you from stuffing up restrictions etc.

What I have definately seen is guys being chipped for using VNAV inappropriately (ID incorrect programming and following it or even just blind following it and not understanding what the VNAV is trying to achieve which may not be what we want to achieve)

I'm with McGoo a little on this one though. Flying the aircraft that 'assertively' should have some beneficial trade off. On time arrival, gain an advantage over another carrier, fit in with ATC etc. I certainly give it away if pax comfort starts to become an issue.

Just some thoughts on the matter...