PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2005, 15:55
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um, actually it is single pilot certified (definitely for VFR, not sure about IFR). The Flight Manual supplement that I have seen saying two pilot operation only (VFR and IFR), is only applicable to FAA registered machines. The particle separator is currently fitted to at least one machine, and there is at least another rolling down the production line with all necessary mods done for the installation of the particle separator, they sure are slow at certifying things!!. I would actually agree that it will be cheaper to maintain than a 412. Having worked on both, I would hazard an educated guess that maintenance manhours/flight hour are in fact a lot less with the AB139.
Hawker Pac will sell you one in Oz, as will Heliflite. Not sure about it's weight being Ok for ALL Australian helipads, but then I bet a 76 can't land on every single helipad in Australia either
I can bet that parts will be freakin expensive, parts for all helicopters (especially European ones) are. Aser, you are right about the fuel system, but you might think again about the wiper system when you see it!!! As long as I never have to change the wiper motor, I'll be OK
Overall, I think the AB139 is a better machine than a 412, but then a 205 is better than a 412 as well Oh yeah, they're basically the same thing aren't they!! So that means the 412 has actually had 40+ years of development and improvement.
Don't know much about the flight sim. CAE I think have an office at Agusta. There is also a Maintenance Simulator being built, but I hear it is falling behind schedule
Teething problems, definitely. Headaches occasionally for the early operators, for sure. Going to be a great machine in the long run, you bet!! The first two points can be said about every new helicopter, but the last definitely cannot!!

Regards

Last edited by noooby; 18th Nov 2005 at 20:22.