PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slow 767's
Thread: Slow 767's
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2001, 04:41
Brutus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Slow 767's

Rather than posting on the old thread bulldog I thought I'd start it up here.

For those not familiar with the issue here is bulldogs orignal post.

Thank you Keg,sorry to side track the thread,maybe should start a new:"Why are QF 767s so slow inside 30nm".ATC and other pilots would be fascinated(ATC states that if you tell a QF 767 to do a high speed descent a few minutes are lost!Explains Binoculars poor skills).
Witnessed an AIRNZ 767 pilot beautifully manage a high speed descent(340kts to 20 track miles),no speed brake,very deft energy management.AN 767 same.
Unless your piloting skills are below average there sould be no concerns for pax safety/comfort on a well managed high speed descent.
Oh yeah,have a QF interview soon,appreciate the snippets.

Yes you can take gear out of sequence but it is very noisy, and then only below 270 kts. If you were at 20 miles at 340 kts on profile (say 5000') I havn't tried it but I doubt you would get it in, even taking gear at 270 kts. Brisbane often require 340 till 20 DME, which for runway 01 means around 20 track miles, and believe me you need ALL the speedbrake. Once again the CTA steps are an issue in BNE.

As to your other question, within 30 miles, everyone must be doing 250 kts, and with the requirement to be 8000'/9000'or below I dont see how the speeds can be all that different. If you are happy to take flap and gear on the limits well then yeah, you can probably push it a bit, but who does that?

So how did this AirNZ bloke do it without speedbrake?