PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Report - Microlight Accident
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2005, 09:14
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Caution is needed here, as I know for a fact that one of the AAIB investigation team spent more than one whole day surfing the internet chat rooms deliberately looking for "evidence" of a "poor safety culture" amongst microlighters to support his theories.

This is the "evidence" that went into the assertion in the report.

This is somewhat akin to reading a few internet motoring fora, which are often full of rhetoric about speed cameras, unsafe car performance modifications and over-zealous policing, and then concluding that all motorists have an inherently poor safety culture.

This report lacks balance and falls well below the impartial standard I have come to expect from such a formerly well respected body. Added to reports from visitors to Farnborough, who have told me of derogatory asides and comments made about microlight aircraft, I am of the view that the AAIB itself suffers from inherent and somewhat unwarranted bias against these aircraft.

I will refain from discussion on the actual accident details, as the matter is clearly sub judice now that a charge of manslaughter has been laid. I suggest we voluntarily restrict this debate to general points about the BMAA, the AAIB, the CAA etc, rather than fall into the trap of being overly specific.

Absolutely right - keep it general.
Others take heed.

Heliport