PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANYTHING having to do with Emirates Applications
Old 18th Nov 2005, 06:14
Desert Whine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to add, you can expect to:

-not be promoted if you use 2 or 3 sick days. Your "contract" says you are entitled to something like 15 sick days a year but the reality is you will be punished for using them. You will have plenty of time to enjoy economy.

-be punished with 2-3 months (depending on whom you ask) of turn-around trips to not-so-wonderful destinations if you call sick on a special day such as NYE, Christmas, Eid. Doesn't even matter what religion you happen to be so start popping your multi-vitamins now because you can't afford to get sick here.

-have your non-crew friends thrown out of your apartment about 1am or so by security who are concerned you might be operating a "knock-shop" up in your home. You are NOT an adult.

-try out the local public beaches at least once, until the day you notice a labourer behind a bush, "enjoying" watching you.

-wake up after a horror trip, sometime late in the day, to find a dark-looking chap rummaging around your place, maybe poking his head into your bedroom, because he wants to "fix" something. He will have permission (but not yours) to do so and the keys to all the doors.

-be off-loaded by a nazi purser for having the wrong shade of lipstick on ya mug, especially after The Letter sent out to all crew, which urged pursers to kick off anyone who was less than immaculate, whilst accusing the rest of the crew of enjoying themselves at work or in the galley. Ask about The Letter when you arrive. It even made the newspapers here.

You asked about training? They will spend a large amount of the few weeks of training you will get, on important matters like lipstick shades, haircuts (for the guys) and shoe polishing.

The class on Duty-time Limits will last about 30 seconds because that's how long it takes to tell you, "There are none."

Sadly, statistics say you can also expect to test the MMD rule. Some say they don't "do" MMD but I think a lot just don't like to admit that they did, especially as it invariably ends in tears and "I told you so" from everyone else. Still, you can't tell these youngsters, can you? Especially when there's (the promise of) shiny, expensive things.....

And you can expect to soon be about the only aussie left here because all the other westerners are getting sick of the way things are done here and the pay is not enough to make it worthwhile, alas.

Amazed they are still able to con aussies into leaving home.

I get the feeling this is all wasted on you but it feels better having spilt my guts, anyway.

The upside is, when you've been here and seen what the planet is really like outside of home, there will be one less Australian who thinks the gov't should let in all and sundry from all the armpits of the world.