PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF to Lossie, MR4A to Kinloss
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2005, 18:59
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts
The paragraphs below are quoted from one of my posts on the Sea Jet thread. No, this is not a hijack - honest!

There are many reasons for low morale in a unit. I put it to you that within 801, the fact that the squadron is soon to be disbanded and the move to Cott/Witt probably has a lot to do with it.

Hmm. Interesting. When the SDR was announced in '98, and the Sea Harrier force came under RAF control, I feared that the Navy's needs (such as air defence and anti ship strike) would be forgotten.

When the decision to move the Sea Jet force to Cott/Witt was announced, I suspected that the WAFUs wouldn't like it and PVR etc. My suspicions were confirmed both in the media and by personal contacts. I took the extreme step of writing to my MP over it. Adam Ingram MP, however, was adament that there was no such issue. This letter arrived less than a week before the decision to retire the Sea Harrier was taken, yet it gave no clues.

Can't help thinking I was right on both counts!

Not so many years ago there was an article in Navy News tht confidently predicted that the Sea Harrier would remain at Yeovilton until 2012 ish, then the JSF would be based there. And then along came the politicians.

RNAS Yeovilton - Potential severe noise impact/short runway/too far from training areas.

Noise impact? Bollox!
Short Runway? For a V/STOL aircraft? And it's not that short is it?
Too far from training areas? Apart from the air to air training areas over the South West and the Bristol Channel...

A Government spokesperson said "We only care about ourselves and out majority...."