PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C206 tips/techniques
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2002, 15:36
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I would add my two cents as I have some experience with the 206;. .. .I worked with a 206 operator in Victoria who I believed to be genuinely concerned with safety. He taught me a good lesson as far as the cargo door briefing is concerned. . .. .He correctly pointed out that should you brief on the use of the door and fail to point out that it should only be used once the aircraft has come to a complete stop, you run the risk of flap inactivation as stated.. .. .Remembering that most of us have been briefed on the importance of "puting a shoe in the door before puting it in the trees" if a passenger sees the pilot open the door before puting it down they may get some bright ideas....!. .. .Obviously as a sensible requirment you should brief passengers on the use of doors, however do not forget to stress the importance of waiting for a complete stop!. .. .As for the statement on pulling the pitch back whilst taxiing, I am not so sure about this (any engineers out there willing to contribute) . .. .Part of the old argument in multi engined aircraft for not exceeding a 500 RPM / 200 RPM or thereabouts drop (admitedly from a higher RPM) on a feather and Governor check respectively is so as to not overstress the crankshaft.....it might just be that the level of risk involved could roghly be compared to buzzing Barry Diamond at a CASA open day over Kingsford Smith upside down in your traumahawk without a clearance!. .. .One time however when I do believe you should be pulling the pitch lever ALL the way back is in the event of an engine failure, This is not stated, at least not in the '67 pamphlet otherwise known as the Pilot's Operating Handbook. . .. .This dramatically decreases the amount of drag and if required will give you a significantly greater gliding distance, except of course in the event of a catastrophic engine failure. . .. .But boys and girls don't try this at home when practicing your engine failures, as the point from which you are close to the ground and reaching for the throttle when you have mucked it all up, will be the same point at which you impact should you forget to push in the pitch.. .. .In addition a point about some of the much older models of the 206; known as 205's or 210/5A's (much more like a 206 than a 210) Amongst various other differences you will notice a much narrower Elevator, this has the unfortunate problem of limiting your elevator authority, particularly in the event of a forward C of G with full flap. . .. .The laws of physics do not change for a 206/205 and landing with full flap DOES decrease your landing distance think back to the old days of physics and the ever reliable equation; Kinetic energy is equal to 1/2 mass multiplied by velocity SQUARED. This means that should you touchdown at 50 kts with 20 degrees of flap instead of 45 knots with full flap you carry 23% more energy for a measly 11% increase in touchdown speed.. .. .Having said this, landing your 205 with 20 degrees of flap when possible will impress the crowd and prevent the undesirable wheel barrowing you will find so difficult to correct with such limited elevator authority as that provided.. .. .Don't forget to adjust the height of your seat, as like many average height people, I find it hard to see over the coaming without full up.. .. .Some of these points may seem obvious, however I hope they are useful to some of the junior pilots that will be operating them.. .. .I achieved my first thousand hours primarily in these old girls but now that I am sleeping with another woman I feel it my duty to point out that despite her uncompromising reliability she would have to just about be the world's most unphotogenic Sl#t, despite he fowl looks the Bit%h slept with many more pilot's than I ever did.