PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 17th Nov 2005, 11:26
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So many Q's so little time

Long overdue - and this is categorically down to only ONE agency and yes you've guessed it. Make no mistake here the whole process has been dragged throught the doldrums painfully for at least the last 7 years that I have been involved in trying to get NVIS into police ops and the answer is: THE UK CAA flt test dept.

I believe we have now reached and surpassed the "tipping point" and there is NO going back

There will be 5 police forces operating full NVIS by the end of 2006. This will open the flood gates for those who WANT it. There is the choice and several urban forces have stated that it's not for them...........(if only they really knew).

This entry into our PAOM is confirmation and acceptance that NVIS has arrived - hooray.

Our observers have been flying NVG's since 1992. Initially on a monocular device until 1994 and then on FENNS 700+ to date which are perfectly adequate for the job of an observer. It has transformed their M.O.
There have been no repeat NO complaints of neck strain because we balance the kit perfectly and this includes female operators too. It should also be borne in mind that the Obs put them on in the crewroom and dont remove them again until they climb out after upwards of 40-60 mins flying

There is no problem wearing this kit whatsoever for the operative so lets quash that rumour.

There MAY be an issue with freedom of movement around the cabin and contact with objects in the proximity of said wearer.
It is not a major issue with our EC135 but I could understand with other tighter older types (355 etc). The back seat dont have this problem.

The sticking point has been certifying the cockpit and pilot for NVIS (as observers are passengers and can do whatever they like without restrictions).
It is this which has taken 7+ yrs and counting.

With the exception of Devon and Cornwall who are fully NVIS compatible since 1995 I think (old certification process), no-one in the UK can fly civvy crew NVIS yet. But next week could see the first operator doing just that under the new regs.
Stage 1 allows for NVIS above 500' only and stage II for t/o and l/o (i.e. full flight NVIS).

Operators will have to demonstrate their experience with stage 1 first before being approved to go to stage II (by the CAA).

Common sense has arrived at platform number 1 at last.....