PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 17th Nov 2005, 07:12
Ariston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NVG – Don’t you just love it?

Ac transits for 20 minutes to the scene, pilot flicks the switch and the cockpit lighting switches to NVG compatible blue/green, the pilot and rear crewmember lower the goggles whilst the front observer uses the TI, spot the baddie, talk the ground units in – Job done. Up with the goggles, back to normal lighting and RTB

20-minute transit to a casevac. Same drill as before as we go onto NVG. This time the front observer has a sweep with the TI then onto goggles, high and low recce then in we go for a perfect touchdown.

Who couldn’t be impressed with the benefits of NVG? Couple of questions though. What happens when, as in most modern civilian helicopters, there isn’t enough headroom for the pilot to stow the goggles? How does he revert to and fro? What happens when the side windows are to close to the pilot’s head and he can’t look sideways or indeed up? What does he do with them in an emergency?

Is it really safer to transit all the time above 500ft on goggles? Has anyone tried hovering at 1000ft on goggles?

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for them but I think the only time a pilot needs them is probably the only time the CAA don’t want you to use them!

Crab’s point with regards to neck strain is one to watch and I also wonder how many observers will fail the proposed eye tests?

Let the fun and games begin!