PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Dies of DVT
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2005, 01:51
Fountain Pen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this looks like its becoming a problem, and yes there is quite a lot on DVT, just go to google or whatever your search engine is and type in DVT, there is quite a bit of information there...I know, as I got DVT last year flying across the Atlantic a few times.

It was not pleasant, as I didn't know what was wrong with me...I could hardly walk from the aeroplane to the terminal without stopping and I'd be totally out of breath after a few steps.

The next day I felt something move in the back of my leg from the upper thigh past the knee then my whole left calf became very swollen and hot to touch.

I was stuck in the West Indies for 5 days and eventually crewed back to the U.K. still not inderstanding the problem...then I though it would just go away, but no so I went to see a GP and he rushed me of to hospital where it was confirmed as DVT.

Heprin Injections then on Warfarin to maintain an INR of 2.5 or there abouts, for min of 4 months but usually 6 months...you are considered unfit to fly as the CAA does not allow you to fly while on this medication.

I had lots of tests, to see if I were pre disposed to DVT...I was not, however, I will not trust it, as we can see it can kill. within days another pilot ended up in hospital as well with PE (pulmonary embolism), which is DVT, he was out for nearly 6 months.

Seems like its to do with lack of oxygen on long flights, dehydration, previous history of DVT of which you may not be aware of, being over weight, and so on...but I see it very dangerous and I was lucky, because if that clot breaks away and travels to your brain of heart, you can imagine what could be the result.....

Last edited by Fountain Pen; 17th Nov 2005 at 06:12.